Homeowners are often a lot more knowledgeable about their plumbing than they think they are, especially when it comes to those often-used fixtures in the kitchen and bathroom. By using your faucets, sinks and showers every day, you start developing a general idea about how things work. Basement and utility room plumbing is a bit less familiar for most people, though, which means it can be hard to figure out what to do when things start leaking or flooding, or some other issue arises in those areas. There are a few common plumbing-related issues you may find in your basement or your utility room – if you’re unsure how to fix the problem, schedule a service with Roto-Rooter online or over the phone, and we’ll send a plumbing and drain professional your way.
- Sump pumps: Sump pumps are typically located in homes with finished basements in order to prevent flooding, which can be highly destructive. The pump’s job is to move water away from the house and into the nearest storm drain. There are several different types of sump pumps, including electrical and battery-powered, and Roto-Rooter professionals are able to inspect, repair or replace any of them.
- Floor drains: Many basements and garages also have floor drains to keep the spaces from flooding with water and damaging the floor and walls. Dirt and debris often get caught in these drains, causing clogs. Roto-Rooter plumbing and drain professionals can inspect floor drain traps, clear clogs and clean drains.
Utility room plumbing
- Water heaters: Water heaters are one of the most important plumbing fixtures in any home, providing hot water to your kitchen and bathroom faucets, as well as your washing machines. If water is pooling under the machine, it’s most likely being caused by a leak that you should repair right away. Also, if your water appears rusty or has a different odor than it normally does, your water heater may be the problem. A Roto-Rooter plumber can find the issue and make emergency repairs at any time of the day or night. If you need a replacement, talk to the Roto-Rooter professional about the water heater options that are best for you, and he or she will be happy to install your new machine.
- Washing machines: The most common laundry room plumbing issues typically come from washing machines. Washing machines need repairs for various reasons, from leaks to damaged pipes, drains or flooding. Give Roto-Rooter a call if your washing machine isn’t working properly, and a local Roto-Rooter professional will help you fix the problem and get your laundry room back to normal.
Basement and utility room plumbing tips and maintenance
Follow these maintenance tips to help you keep your basement and utility room in good working order:
- Test your sump pump often. To ensure your sump pump is in good working order, it’s important to test it often, especially before summer or whenever you’re expecting storms or high volumes of rainfall. To test it, simply pour a bucket of water into the sump pit. The water should activate the pump, which will turn on, remove the water and turn off if it’s working as it should be.
- Regularly inspect your washing machine hoses. Check for any wear and tear that could cause leaks or flooding if left undetected. Also, before doing laundry, make sure your drain hose isn’t folded or kinked, which could flood the machine.
Homeowners can depend on Roto-Rooter for any residential plumbing and drain cleaning services. Our professional plumbers deliver fast, dependable service and will arrive uniformed and badged, driving a Roto-Rooter vehicle.
*All services not available from all locations.